Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
She was asking for it!Assumed invitation occurs whenever a sexual invitation or openness to sexual advances is assumed, rather than confirmed by affirmative action. More specifically it can, and often does, include the additional assumption that since a person is, assumedly, "looking for it", they are inviting or sexually open to that specific person, or are obligated to accept them.
The idea that a man, or any person, should ever have right to assume what a woman is thinking, feeling, or wanting, is a vein that runs deep and strong in Rape culture.
Issues with the existence of assumed invitation include:
- Shift of responsibility to women to restrict their self-expression and actions in order to avoid being assumed to be sexually available
- victim blaming, including internalised victim blaming.
Bases used to claim assumed invitation Edit
- She's a woman (because All women are horny)
- She's wearing specific clothes (because the primary use of clothing is signalling whether a woman wants sex or not)
- She's wearing specific makeup (ditto)
- She's alone (because women never are alone unless "looking for it")
- She's in a specific place (because women never have any business to certain streets, buildings, events, clubs, parties, bars, rooms, corners, etc etc unless "looking for it")
- She's out and about at a specific time (because women never have any business to be outside of their door unless "looking for it")
- She is, or was, or perceived to be sexually promiscuous (because she's "giving it away" anyway)
- She is, or was, a stripper or a sex worker (because she's "giving it away" anyway)
- She was looking around all bedroom eyes like (because no way she was tired, bored, tipsy, annoyed, or blinded by bright lights)
- She was talking/smiling to me (because women never are sociable unless "looking for it")
- She was dancing all come hither like (because sexy movement never occurs in women's dancing unless "looking for it").
When invitation-assuming is challenged, the two most usually encountered counter-arguments are:
- "Next thing we know it, guys will need a notarized form to even touch a girl!"
- You should know that certain things excite men, of course they'll think you're doing it on purpose.
- Pervocracy: Grand Game, on why women don't smile to strangers