Benevolent sexism is a variety of sexism that is, on its surface, positive ("benevolent") toward women.
- "Women are so good at communication" (Essentialism)
- "Women are great at understanding the user, so you should work on the front end" (Pigeonholing)
- "Women are too smart to work long hours for little reward" 
- "Women are more interested in applications of technology to help people than in theoretical work" (a view expressed in Unlocking the Clubhouse which was later debunked)
- "Women are nicer and more polite than men" (when stated without acknowledgment that women are systematically punished for not being excessively polite and deferential)