The excuse that geeks are just like that excuses sexist behaviour for a number of reasons:
- Geeks are socially deprived of contact with women and thus cannot be expected to behave well around them (women themselves are often blamed for this).
- "Geek" is identical with "neurodiverse person", and that neurodiverse people cannot be expected to adhere to social norms, see Autism is to blame for further discussion of this fallacy.
- Anti-sexism is a mainstream norm that geeks should reject.
These are criticised by geek feminists for a number of reasons:
- The "geeks are deprived of female contact" reason makes women geeks invisible.
- The "geeks are deprived of female contact" reason is an example of the women taught us fallacy that women are responsible for socialising men.
- The "mainstream norm" argument is an example of rebellion against mainstream norms fallacy.