Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
About this page Edit
These are notes on Getting girls into IT from a group at linux.conf.au 2009.
Personal Stories, Inspiration and Anecdotes Edit
LOGO, Lego LOGO
Ideas and Issues Edit
GGGFIT: "no-one showed up"
- Need to get them younger
- Motivation: CF WWII Eniac Programmers
- "We Need You" vs "IT Is Fun (LOL)"
- Wealth creation within the country: innovation
- Economic crisis: all hands on deck
- Need things to export
Alice (programming) classes in year 5 and 6
- Use division to dampen input from mouse pointer
Scratch programming, also year 5 and 6
Having something to take home
- ISO image with [tool] which they can burn and take home
- USB sticks, USB rubber bracelets as per rock concerts (need sponsors)
Know your rights, get a lawyer
Mentor -- doesn't need to be female
- Website to connect people to mentors (ACS)
Careers Advisors are often poor advisors
- Provide IT position descriptions with profiles (mix up genders)
- Where can you get more information
CF. "Technology takes you anywhere" book
- We need to make our own "pink book"
- Distribute through careers advisers
Year 10 Careers Day
- Flexible hours
- Scalability issues
Scholarships for women
- Anita Borg
- University Specific (e.g. Southern Cross)
Do talks for TAFE students, professional development for the teachers
Dropping admission requirements for UAI for women?
- Problems with perpetuating the "girls aren't as good at IT" myth?
- Can be off-putting for girls
- Need to link in to class?
- Project Euler
- Talk to IT teachers e.g. VITTA
Professional development courses for teachers.
- How to teach IT (...to girls)
- More information on software packages
TAFE/Uni credits for evangelising
Extra credit at school for TAFE courses in IT Mini-certificate for some day course
"I.T. for scientists"
Scripting to solve problems at school
- Queensland Education
- Institute of Physics and other groups who have successfully increased the proportion of women in their field
- Department of Education and Workplace Relations (?)
- Curriculum Corporation
- Learning Federation