At Kiwicon 2014, a talk with two presenters included a transphobic, racist, and transmisogynist joke and other content (NSFW) that violated the event's code of conduct. The organizers apologized to the attendees and expelled the speakers from the conference, to applause from the audience. The speakers both apologized on Twitter.
- In one "joke", @rantyben and @thegrugq managed racism, misogyny, and transmisogyny. Total shitweasel territory. #kiwicon
- Talk from @rantyben and @thegrugq was offensive in every way and violated CoC. @kiwicon, please expel them. #kiwicon
- @hashoctothorpe @rantyben @thegrugq @kiwicon I walked out. Felt very unwelcome, which is shit when the organisers try so hard.
- .@NatDudley I walked out too. Been sitting with my friend who now feels totally unsafe.@rantyben @thegrugq @kiwicon
- My deepest respect to @kiwicon for kicking out 2 presenters for inappropriate content. Seriously, trans-mocking & goatse are both vile.
- Epic kudos to #kiwicon crew for enforcement of not being a shitweasel rule. Speaker made [transphobic slur redacted] comment from stage => ejected from con.
- .@kiwicon issues a public apology for the @thegrugq @rantyben talk for breaking the CoC. Well done. #kiwicon
- .@kiwicon, thank you for evicting those dudes. Audience, thank you for the round of applause. #kiwicon
- .@kiwicon showing how to run an excellent conf by throwing out shitweasels. Thanks guys.
- So, speakers @rantyben & @thegrugq were ejected from #kiwicon for insensitive comments about trans people. Well done to the organisers!
- I do not agree with the decision to eject @rantyben & @thegrugq. #kiwicon
- Shame on @kiwicon for being so pc. Learn to laugh a little!
- What’s the general vibe about the #kiwicon speaker snafu today? Right call? Wrong call?