This article was nominated in November 2009 by Skud.
Mallory Chua (most widely known by her gender-neutral nickname "Mel") is a PhD student at Purdue University, specialising in Engineering Education.
Open source and education
Mel has worked on a number of open source projects, especially related to education, including:
- One Laptop Per Child
- OpenHatch / Open Source Comes to Campus
- POSSE (Professors' Open Source Summer Experience)
She has also served as an advisor to the Ada Initiative since 2013.
Gender neutral nickname
Mel wrote on her blog about the effects of her gender-neutral nickname, proclaiming that she is indeed a young woman.
- Small comic strips from my first time in a deaf-accessible hotel room
- Being deaf is: polled I/O instead of interrupt driven
- Unpacking a conference accessibility request email
- How to conduct a basic hearing screening with a $1k maching taht could be a $20 open hardware Altoids tin design