Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Melbourne Python Workshops for Women and Friends are a proposed 1.5 day long free workshop modeled on the successful Boston Python Workshops, with the direct aim of increasing diversity within the Australian Python community.
This page will serve to help organise the event and to provide a proposal for perspective supporters and sponsors of the workshop.
At an initial meeting in July 2011, it was proposed that a date be chosen after pycon-au 2011 and before the end of year rush, so tentatively October or November 2011 (One week before an MPUG meetup).
Format: Mostly as presented at the Boston Workshops, with some suggested changes:
- Avoid discussion of classes in general given the audience may be new to programming all together.
- Break up 2 hour talk into smaller talks interspersed with practical application.
- Adopt a Code of conduct.
- Make it clear that trans women are welcome to the workshop.
- Advertise for attendees: Our blogs, STEM departments at Victorian Universities, Geek girl dinners, Brianna's monthly radio segment on 3cr, pycon-au 2011.
- Helpers to avoid being overly "helpful", ie: When an attendee has just worked out loops, avoid "AHA! you know you could do that with a list comprehension!"
- Sponsorship to cover Saturday lunch and possible venue costs.
- Discuss with MPUG having some beginner-friendly talks at their meetup proceeding the Workshop and how to be welcoming to potential new members.
- Invite attendees to an informal dinner at a local venue after the workshop closes on Saturday evening.