A Pick Up Artist or PUA is a member of a subculture (the Seduction Community) that teaches men tactics to seduce women.
Feminist critiques of Pick Up Artistry include:
- some of the stereotypes of women promoted are quite sexist and racist
- many PUA techniques treat women as almost completely interchangable with each other
- many PUAs themselves treat women as almost completely interchangable with each other
- some PUA techniques and PUAs themselves are actively predatory and abusive
- many PUA techniques rely on heterocentric assumptions
- A Long List Of Ways The Seduction Community Can Make You Weird
- tigtog discusses the abusive history and techniques of PUA Dimitri The Lover/James Sears
- "… what tends to happen in the Community is that one gender-stereotype is replaced with another: women as fickle, emotional, selfish and easily manipulated. The idea that sex demeans women remains, but is recast as sluts deserve to be demeaned."