Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Burnout session at AdaCamp Melbourne.
What do people want to get out of this session
- Prevention (some appear to handle it better than others, comes up in every organizations)
- This is a structural
How to fix burnout?
- task design
- organizational design
Types of burnout
- Life-happens, prioritization
- Rage quitting
- People are attacking me from the outside
- fade out - lack of positive feedback
- fade out - due to negative feedback
- idealism: not achieving the ideal, so quitting
- unrealistic expectations
- non-profit workers, not being paid and you shouldn’t ask for more money, work lots of overtime because “you believe”
- create a culture where it’s acceptable to say no
- What’s the role of leadership of an organization in setting policy?
- Organizers need to say no (volunteer: you can’t do that)
- Having backups for things
- Succession planning (buddy people)
- Socializing: Volunteering needs to not just be work
- sophisticated task design
- every task is balanced with a reward
- commitment is very clearly defined
- Planned obselecense
- Top-level direction on planning to quit
- having roles makes it much easier to move people out of them
- Learning how to delegate portions of things
- Co-founding: find someone with complementary skills
- Tasks go undone :D - Just ask individuals to do things
- Australian Associating for Rogaining is an example of awesome