The diversity mailing list in the Python programming language community is a mailing list founded by Aahz in July 2009. The initial purpose of the list is to draft a diversity statement similar to that of the Dreamwidth community, stating that the Python community welcomes diverse contributers and users, and is against discrimination. Discussion on the list is ongoing.
- Python diversity statement
- Increasing diversity of speakers and attendees at PyCon
- Python Open Mike
- Setting up a wiki with diversity resources for the Python community
List culture Edit
- The mailing list is archived, but only allows members to read the archives. This makes it difficult to link to discussions on the list, as non-members will not be able to read them.
- The list has had difficulty navigating between diversity and trolling, with some members who are accused of trolling claiming that they are merely expressing diverse opinions.
- A number of diversity activists who were on the list have since left it, for various reasons which may include high traffic, antagonistic discussions, trolls, disagreement with process, etc.
Criticism/discussion of mailing list dynamics Edit
- Diversity in a Nutshell - "Since a few people have asked, here's a rough guide to the diversity discussion"
- Titus Brown - A personal diversity statement
- Aahz's blog - Pythoncraft and Pigs With Wings, Python: Call for diversity