Let's list and track some of the loci of intense Internet discussion in feminism and geek feminism. Please add milestones, mailing list or blog/website/wiki beginnings. Add particular notable controversies and kerfluffles at timeline of incidents.
- First WisCon (feminist Science Fiction convention)
1980s (approximate) Edit
- (Sometime in the 80s or very early 90s) FEM-SF listserv established
- Comp.society.women founded
- (or 1995?) Feminist Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Utopia pages begin (later to become feministsf.net)
- Carl Brandon Society mailing list established
- Debian Women founded by Erinn Clark and Amaya Rodrigo Sastre
- Google begins awarding the Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
- Ubuntu Women founded
- Cultural appropriation discussion, after WisCon
- Sudden rise of Feminist Comics Blogging
- Wikichix founded
- First LinuxChix miniconf at Linux.conf.au
- First WIOS (Women in Open Source) miniconf at SCALE
- First She's Geeky unconference
- An Open Letter to the Open Source Community by Melissa Draper
- http://Geekspeakr.com launched - Directory of women technical speakers
- the Backup Project, encouraging people to intervene in event harassment, is founded
See also 2009 women in FLOSS discussions for a series of discussions in this year.
- August: Geek Feminism blog founded
- Backup Ribbon Project founded.
- WikiProject Feminism established on English Wikipedia.
- Anita Sarkeesian launches the Feminist Frequency Kickstarter
- the 2012 atheist and skeptic harassment policies campaign begins