What happened Edit
In March 2007, email@example.com posted a sexist joke on the ubuntu-uk mailing list. Caroline Ford pointed out that this was in contravention of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct but instead of the poster being reprimanded, the person who pointed out the CoC violation was run out of the community.
- For "women" read "newbs" post to ubuntu-uk
- Caroline Ford responds, pointing out that the joke is in breach of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
- Pete Ryland backs her up
- Jono Bacon posted suggesting that moderation should be used when applying the CoC.
- Matthew Garrett posted this round-up of what had happened. See also, Relating to my previous post
- Discussion on Ubuntu Women Forum
- The final straw (email post from David Restall)
- "I've just unsubscribed - the miserable responses to what should be humour was more than I could bear."
- Caroline Ford is called out for swearing ("WHO THE FUCK IS OPENING MY POST") on her Livejournal, which was syndicated through Planet Ubuntu-UK.
- She leaves the Planet
- "This sort of thing makes me wonder if I'm right in retraining in IT. Maybe I'll be better off returning to local government."
- "There was only one woman in Ubuntu-UK (yes that's right, the whole of the UK), now there will be none."