Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A frequent response to complaints of sexism is advice about how the individual who is experiencing sexism should respond to it on a personal level. This keeps the conversation away from a discussion of systemic problems and puts the burden for stopping sexist behavior on the marginalized person who has been its target.
- It sets the tone or framing for appropriate responses to an incident of sexism
- It implies that complaining about sexism is only legitimate if the complainer has been taking activist steps that "count" in the perspective of the advice-giver
- It implies that the advice-giver is in a position to judge or criticize the marginalized person
- It shuts down the conversation by falsely presenting the problem as solved
- Related to You should be flattered, Unsolicited critique, Unsolicited revenge fantasies
- "You should take that to HR!"
- "You should yell back at them!"
- "You should kick him in the balls, that's what I'd do!"