White Knighting is an attempt at being a feminist ally that assumes that men are better feminists than women are.
Examples of White Knighting might include:
- re-stating a woman's feminist arguments so as to improve them, on the assumption that you can express them more clearly and objectively
- defending a woman in an argument, cutting off her own defence of herself
- concern trolling about the tone of feminist expression or otherwise assuming that feminism is in dire need of a man's input
- misinterpreting a woman's criticisms against structural oppression as low self-esteem or low self-confidence, and engaging in excessive flattery to try and boost it
- self-appointment to "protect" a female feminist, for instance with statements such as "if anyone has problems with her being a feminist, will have to deal with me first"
Essentially, the problem is an ally's assumption that one is the best, most effective, feminist present.
As a criticism of all allies Edit
Sometimes the term "white knighting" is used by anti-feminists to criticise any feminist action from a man. Feminists don't ask that men be silent on feminist questions, they simply ask that men not behave as if they invented or perfected feminism.